World Bulletin/News Desk
Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy on Sunday slammed international pressure on Egypt following its bloody crackdown on supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi, saying Cairo would not tolerate foreign interference in the country's domestic affairs.
"Egypt's Foreign Ministry is not worried about the international attention on the situation in Egypt, but it's still up to Egyptians to decide, and we won't allow any foreign interference," Fahmy told a press conference at the ministry's Cairo headquarters.
A move by Egyptian authorities on Wednesday to violently disperse two major sit-ins by Morsi supporters was met with international condemnation. Some Western governments went so far as to take punitive actions against Egypt.
On Thursday, Denmark said it had suspended annual aid to the country worth $5.3 million because of the crackdown, which left hundreds of demonstrators dead and thousands injured. Turkey, Venezuela, Mauritius and Ecuador all recalled their ambassadors for consultation.
Germany's foreign office, meanwhile, issued a travel warning for Egypt, while the United States scrapped plans for joint war games with the Egyptian armed forces, yet stopped short of cutting $1.3 billion in military aid to one of its key allies in the Middle East.
"No one can deny the importance of [foreign] aid… but they weren't free gifts," Fahmy said. "Threats to cut aid to Egypt are totally unacceptable."
The minister said he had asked local authorities to reevaluate foreign assistance programs to ensure that "Egypt's dignity is not shaken."
During the press conference, photos and videos were displayed showing what the ministry described as "evidence" that the Muslim Brotherhood was involved in the violence that has recently engulfed the country.
More than 181 people were killed on Friday in violence that accompanied mass anti-coup demonstrations in several Egyptian cities, held to protest Wednesday's violent sit-in dispersals in which hundreds were killed.
Two days earlier, at least 638 people died in nationwide violence, including 375 killed in two sit-in dispersals, according to figures released by the Health Ministry.
"Regrettably, during and after the dispersal, victims have fallen, whether protesters or policemen. Egyptian blood is dear to us all," Fahmy said.
However, he slammed what he described as systematic acts of violence "aimed at terrorizing and intimidating citizens and shaking the Egyptian state."
"Such incidents have been dealt with, and will be dealt with, in accordance with the law," he said.
As for the countries that have recalled their envoys, Fahmy said Egypt had no problem with a country summoning the Egyptian ambassador to voice dissatisfaction, "because we do the same with foreign ambassadors."
But he added: "Those countries who believe their ambassadors here are not of use won't find Egyptian ambassadors in their capitals."
"Attempts to internationalize the Egyptian situation are totally unacceptable and will not help achieve national reconciliation," the minister said.Güncelleme Tarihi: 18 Ağustos 2013, 16:53