World Bulletin/News Desk
Reports had emerged that Egypt's interim leaders were willing to release some detained Muslim Brotherhood members, unfreeze the group's assets, and give it three ministerial posts.
World Bulletin/News Desk
Both the Egyptian presidency and the Muslim Brotherhood dismissed reports on Monday of an imminent deal to diffuse the country's political crisis, triggered by last month's ouster of president Mohamed Morsi by the military.
Earlier the same day, reports had emerged – citing a "senior military source" – that Egypt's interim leaders were willing to release some detained Muslim Brotherhood members, unfreeze the group's assets, and give it three ministerial posts in exchange for the group ending its nationwide demonstrations.
Presidential media adviser Ahmed Meslimani, however, dismissed the report as "totally untrue."
Senior Brotherhood member Gamal Heshmat also denied the existence of any such compromise.
"The Brotherhood is part of the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy (NADL), and would not take any step without the alliance," Heshmat told Anadolu Agency.
"These reports aim to drive a wedge between the sides that reject the [military] coup," he added.
Mohamed al-Beltagi, another leading Brotherhood member, also dismissed the claims, describing them as being "part of a systemic campaign to create rifts within the anti-coup revolutionary movement."
"With all due respect to all initiatives or meetings, President Morsi and the NADL will not give up on their four demands," al-Beltagi said.
Those demands include the reinstatement of the ousted leader, the dissolved Shura Council (the upper house of Egypt's parliament) and the suspended constitution, along with the prosecution of those responsible for killing protesters in the wake of Morsi's overthrow.
Earlier in the day, a Brotherhood lawyer said that a handful of Arab and Western diplomats were headed to Cairo's Tora Prison to meet with Saad al-Katatni, the detained leader of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP).
The delegation included US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns, Qatari Foreign Minister Khaled bin Mohamed al-Attiya, United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nuhayan and European Union envoy Bernadino León.
Al-Katani met with US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns, telling him there was "no turning back" on constitutional legitimacy and the reinstatement of the elected president.
FJP deputy head Essam al-Erian, for his part, said the meeting with al-Katatni was not likely to lead to any breakthroughs.
"The answer that Burns will receive from al-Katatni, who is now behind bars, will be the same that he got from NADL members," al-Erian said via Facebook.
Shater's son dismisses Interior Ministry claims on 'truce deal'
Deputy leader of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood Khairat al-Shater, held in the highly-fortified Al-Aqrab Prison in Cairo, has not accepted any calm deal as claimed by an interior ministry's official, his son insisted.
"As I said before Khairat al-Shater refused to negotiate on behalf of those demonstrating or staging sit-ins," Hassan Khairat al-Shater told Anadolu Agency, referring to thousands of supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi camping out in Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya Square and Giza's al-Nahda.
"The only person entitled to negotiate is Mohamed Morsi, the legitimate president of the country," he added.
On Monday, Assistant Interior Minister for Prison Service Sector Mostafa Baz said al-Shater had agreed with visiting US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns on an initiative to calm down the situation in the country.
Hassan told the AA earlier that his father met "against his will" with a group of international envoys, including Burns.
Al-Shater is currently held behind bars and he is facing charges of inciting deadly violence against opponents.
The Egyptian capital has been abuzz with diplomatic activity in recent days, with officials coming from four continents to take part in talks aimed at resolving the country's ongoing political impasse.
Morsi's supporters have been staging daily mass rallies and sit-ins nationwide since his July 3 ouster by the military following mass protests against him.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 06 Ağustos 2013, 13:39