World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood on Tuesday condemned two blasts near the Ittihadiya presidential palace in eastern Cairo that had left two policemen dead and 10 others injured on Monday.
"[The Brotherhood] denounces the blasts that killed two police officers, offers condolences to their families and wishes speedy recovery to those injured," it said in a statement.
The group, from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails, called for a swift investigation into the incident, especially after an extremist shadowy group had announced planting explosive devices in the area.
The shadowy Agnad Masr (Egypt's Soldiers) militant group has claimed responsibility for the Monday blasts.
In a Facebook statement, the group said bombs were planted to target policemen manning the presidential palace.
Egypt has been in turmoil since the army unseated Morsi, the country's first freely elected president, last July following massive protests against his rule.
In December of last year, Egypt's army-installed interim government designated the Brotherhood a "terrorist" organization.
The move followed a deadly bombing of a Nile Delta security directorate – an act swiftly condemned by the Brotherhood, which has strenuously denied any connection to terrorism and reiterated commitment to peaceful activism.
Last month, former army chief Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi – who led Morsi's ouster – was elected president with almost 97 percent of the vote, according to Egypt's official electoral commission.Güncelleme Tarihi: 01 Temmuz 2014, 17:57