First report from Yemen: 25 civilian deaths

At least 25 civilians were killed and 40 others injured in Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen.

First report from Yemen: 25 civilian deaths

World Bulletin / News Desk 

At least 25 civilians were killed and 40 others injured in Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemeni capital Sanaa, a Health Ministry official said Thursday.

"Twenty-five people were killed according to a preliminary death toll," the official in the Houthi-controlled ministry told.

He said 40 civilians had also been injured in the strikes.

"The death toll is likely to rise in the coming hours," the official said.

Houthi-run al-Masirah television, meanwhile, said scores of civilians had been killed and injured in the airstrikes.

Saudi Arabia launched Thursday a military operation, including airstrikes, in Yemen against the Houthi group, which seized capital Sanaa and several provinces.

In a joint statement, five Gulf countries – Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait – said the operation "was in response to a request from Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi to protect Yemen from the aggression of Houthi militias."

The statement accused the Houthis of being a "tool in foreign powers that seek to harm the security and stability of Yemen."

According to Saudi media, warplanes from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, Morocco and Sudan are participating in the anti-Houthi offensive.

Egypt and Pakistan also said they were ready to participate in a ground offensive against the Houthis, the media said.

The United States also said that it was ready to provide logistical and intelligence support for the anti-Houthi offensive.

Last Mod: 26 Mart 2015, 09:46
Add Comment