Haniyeh welcomes Qatari grant for Gaza rebuilding

Haniyeh said during a phone conversation with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad that Qatar had always stood by the Palestinian people, according to a statement by Haniyeh's office

Haniyeh welcomes Qatari grant for Gaza rebuilding

World Bulletin/News Desk

Deputy chief of the Political Office of Palestinian faction Hamas Ismail Haniyeh on Sunday welcomed Qatar's declaration that it would contribute $1 billion for the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip.

Haniyeh said during a phone conversation with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad that Qatar had always stood by the Palestinian people, according to a statement by Haniyeh's office.

Sheikh Tamim, for his part, said his country was keen on offering help to the Palestinian victims of the latest Israeli offensive.

Qatar has been a main supporter of Hamas since it took over the Gaza Strip in June 2007.

Earlier on Sunday, participants in a donor conference that was held in the Egyptian capital Cairo pledged to contribute $5.4 billion, half of which will go for the reconstruction of the war-ravaged Palestinian territory.

It was not, however, immediately clear where the remaining portion of the pledged $5.4-billion aid would go.

Israel launched a 51-day offensive on the Palestinian territory with the stated aim of preventing Gaza factions from firing rockets on it.

The offensive left, however, around 2,157 people dead and more than 11,000 others injured. It also destroyed thousands of homes and facilities, turning parts of the Gaza Strip into total ruin.

The Palestinian Authority had earlier said that it aimed to raise $4 billion during the conference for the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip.

Representatives from 50 states, including 30 foreign ministers, attended the conference in Cairo on Sunday, along with the representatives of several regional and international organizations.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 12 Ekim 2014, 23:49
YORUM EKLE