World Bulletin / News Desk
Israeli fighter jets launched attacks on nine Syrian military positions late Sunday following an alleged missile attack earlier in the day that killed an Israeli teen and left three others injured in the occupied Syrian Golan Heights.
"The sites targeted by [Israeli Defense Forces] IDF include Syrian military headquarters and launching positions," military spokesman Peter Lerner wrote on Twitter.
Israei Ynet news service reported that residents of northern Israel heard explosions from across the border with Syria.
According to the Israeli portal, the raids were launched shortly after midnight, when Israeli jets hit Syrian army sites in the Syrian-controlled part of Golan Heights.
The Israeli military said the airstrikes came in response to an attack by an anti-tank missile launched from Syria, which killed 15-year-old Mohamed Karakara and left three others wounded.
Isreali Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said that Israel views Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime as "responsible for any actions conducted on territory under its control."
Israel would "react firmly and aggressively to any provocation or attack on our sovereignty," he said.
The Golan Heights were occupied by Israel during the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.
In 1981, the self-proclaimed Jewish state formally annexed the territory.
The region is inhabited by a small Syrian Druze community of roughly 20,000.Güncelleme Tarihi: 23 Haziran 2014, 10:14