World Bulletin/News Desk
Israeli army has launched a probe into footage of an alleged infiltration attempt by Hamas fighters into an Israeli military site near the Gaza Strip border.
Army spokesman Moti Almoz told Israeli Channel 10 on Wednesday that the army was investigating the video which purportedly shows Hamas fighters emerging from a tunnel and killing Israeli soldiers.
A video was aired on Hamas' Al-Aqsa TV on Tuesday, in which fighters are seen emerging from a tunnel near the Nahel Oz military site on Monday and opening fire on Israeli soldiers.
The footage also shows three Hamas members attempting to abduct an Israeli soldier before killing him and seizing an Israeli weapon.
In a statement, the Ezzeddin al-Qassam Brigades, Hamas' armed wing, said that 10 Israeli soldiers had been killed in the attack.
Violence has engulfed the Palestinian territories since Israel launched a devastating military onslaught on the Gaza Strip on July 7 with the stated aim of halting rocket fire.
The Palestinian death toll from a devastating Israeli onslaught on the Gaza Strip rose to 1258, according to a Health Ministry spokesman.
"At least 28 Palestinians were killed in Israeli bombardments in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, taking the death toll to 1258," Ashraf al-Qodra told Anadolu Agency.
He said some 7100 Palestinians have also been injured in the ongoing Israeli attacks since July 7.
In the latest Israeli attacks on Wednesday, at least 15 people were killed in Israeli shelling of an UNRWA-run school in northern Gaza Strip.
At least 56 Israelis – 53 soldiers and three civilians – have been killed since the hostilities began.
Israel's military operation, dubbed operation "Protective Edge," is the self-proclaimed Jewish state's third major offensive against the densely-populate Gaza Strip – which is home to some 1.8 million Palestinians – within the last six years.
In 2008/9, over 1500 Palestinians were killed in Israel's three-week-long operation "Cast Lead."
Güncelleme Tarihi: 30 Temmuz 2014, 10:57