World Bulletin / News Desk
Syria's army accused Israel of carrying out missile strikes early Friday on an airbase near Damascus -- the latest in a series of attacks in recent years.
Here is a recap of notable strikes:
-- 2013 --
- January 30: Israeli planes hit a surface-to-air missile site and military complex near Damascus suspected of holding chemical agents. A US official says Israel feared the transfer of weapons from Syria to Hezbollah.
- May 3: A raid near Damascus targets Iranian weapons destined for Hezbollah, a senior Israeli official says.
- May 5: A raid hits a scientific research centre in Damascus, a weapons depot and an aircraft unit, according to a diplomat in Beirut. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says 42 soldiers are killed.
- February 25: A Lebanese security source says two Israeli raids hit a Hezbollah target on the Lebanon-Syria border. The Observatory calls the target a Hezbollah "missile base".
- June 23: Israel stages retaliatory air raids on Syrian army positions following an attack from Syria.
- September 23: Israel downs a Syrian fighter jet as it tries to cross the Golan ceasefire line.
- December 7: Syria's army accuses Israel of striking two regime-held areas in Damascus province.
-- 2015 --
- January 18: Six Hezbollah fighters and an Iranian general are killed in an Israeli strike on the Syrian side of the Golan. Hezbollah retaliates several days later by killing two Israeli soldiers.
- July 29: An air strike on a government-held village on the Syrian side of the Golan kills two Hezbollah militants and three pro-regime fighters, the Observatory says.
- August 20: Israel launches strikes on 14 Syrian army positions on the Golan in response to rockets fired on Israel's northern Galilee region. One person is killed, the Syrian military says.
- August 21: An Israeli strike on the Syrian side of the Golan kills five, Syrian state television says.
- December 19: Hezbollah figure Samir Kantar dies in an Israeli raid near Damascus, the group says later. Kantar had spent almost 30 years in Israeli prisons.
-- 2016 --
- April 11: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu admits that Israel has attacked dozens of weapons convoys in Syria that were destined for Hezbollah.
- September 13: Israeli aircraft strike Syrian army positions for the fourth time in nine days after a projectile fired from Syria hits the Israeli-held zone of the Golan. Israel denies a Syrian claim to have downed an Israeli warplane and a drone.
- December 7: Several Israeli missiles smash targets near the Mazzeh airbase outside Damascus, a week after a similar attack in the Sabbura area west of the capital.
-- 2017 --
- January 13: The Syrian army says Israeli missile strikes have again targeted the Mazzeh base. The Observatory says they hit ammunition depots.