Israeli soldier shot dead wounded Turkish acvitist on Gaza ship: Kuwaiti

A Kuwaiti activist said saw an "Israeli soldier shooting and killing a wounded Turk in the head" on the Gaza ship.

Israeli soldier shot dead wounded Turkish acvitist on Gaza ship: Kuwaiti

Israeli naval commandos used batons, tear gas, stun grenades, rubber-coated bullets and live ammunition during the storming of aid ships bound for Gaza, activists deported by Israel to Jordan said on Wednesday.

"The Israelis just attacked us without warning after dawn prayer," said Norazma Abdullah, a Malaysian who was among 124 activists who crossed into Jordan at about 7.30 a.m. (0430 GMT).

Eighteen Kuwaiti activists who were detained by Israel after a raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla returned home on Wednesday.

"They fired with some rubber bullets but after some time they used live ammunition. Five were dead on the spot and after that we surrendered," said Abdullah, who was on the Turkish vessel Mavi Marmara.

Abdullah, speaking to Reuters near a Jordan river bridge, said the Israeli commandos had then kept the activists tied up for 15 hours until they reached the Israeli port of Ashdod.

"Killing wounded Turk in the head"

Young activist Ali Buhamd claimed he saw an "Israeli soldier shooting and killing a wounded Turk in the head" and that "soldiers left another wounded Turk to bleed to death despite repeated appeals for help."

Nine people were killed during Monday's raid on a six-ship convoy trying to deliver humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip, where 1.5 million Palestinians are under an Israeli blockade.

"I assure you that no one from the aid volunteers had any firearms. We had no other weapons, except kitchenware, and the volunteers did not start any resistance," the lawyer Mutawa said.

The Kuwait parliament on Tuesday held a special session to discuss the Israeli raid and passed a recommendation calling on the government to withdraw from the Arab peace initiative of 2002.

Abdul Rahman Failakawee, a Kuwaiti, said the Israelis had used an array of weaponry to subdue those on board the convoy.

"The attack was totally barbaric," he said by telephone from a bus taking the freed activists to Amman. "They used legitimate and maybe illegitimate weapons: rubber bullets, live ammunition, sound bombs and tear gas bombs. They also used batons as they landed to beat those on board to control the ship."

Archbishop Hilarian Capucci, a Greek Catholic prelate from Jerusalem who was imprisoned by Israel in 1974 and later deported, said the maritime attack was unwarranted.

"Our trip to Gaza was a trip of love and God was with us. Israel by its actions had rightly drawn world outrage over its brutality against unarmed people carrying a message of love to an innocent occupied people under seige," Capucci said.

"Kidnapping young son"

"They humiliated us," said Ahmed Brahimi, an Algerian who said he was on board the Mavi Marmara ship.

"We were not armed. We did not go there to fight," Brahimi, who said he was the coordinator of the Algerian contingent on board the convoy's ships, told Reuters by telephone from Jordan soon after he was deported from Israel.

"We were doing our morning prayer when the Israelis first tried to come on board the Marmara ship," he said.

"We used sticks and all what we could find to defend ourselves to stop the assault. During the second assault, they succeeded in kidnapping the young son of the captain, and then we found ourselves obliged to give up."

"(They) seized our cell phones, did not allow us to use the lavatory..., our hands were tied up, and some of us were placed on our stomachs."

"They told us to sign a document written in Hebrew," he said. "We, the Algerians, refused to sign the document because we do not understand Hebrew and more importantly because we do not recognize Israel."

In an appeal echoed by Washington, the U.N. Security Council has called for an impartial investigation of the deaths.


Güncelleme Tarihi: 03 Haziran 2010, 12:14