World Bulletin / News Desk
The military announced a cease-fire Sunday and a halt in its offensive against ISIL along its northeastern border with Syria, paving the ground for negotiations to decide the fate of Lebanese soldiers held hostage by the terror group.
“A cease-fire came into effect today at 7 a.m. [1000 GMT], and that is to make way for the last phase of negotiations on the fate of kidnapped soldiers,” the army command said in a statement.
Nine days back, the Lebanese army had launched an offensive to dislodge ISIL terrorists from a mountainous area near the Syria border.
Coinciding with the military operation, Lebanese group Hezbollah also announced that its fighters, along with Syrian regime forces, had begun an onslaught to recapture the outskirts of Qalamoun from ISIL in western Syria.
On Aug. 2, 2014, ISIL announced it took 11 Lebanese soldiers as hostages on the outskirts of Arsal on the Syrian-Lebanese border; later the terror group executed two of them.
Hezbollah also said "a cease-fire starting at 7 a.m. comes within the framework of a comprehensive agreement to end the battle in Western Qalamoun".
Hezbollah Secretary-General Hasan Nasrallah on Thursday confirmed negotiations were being held with ISIL.
Earlier this month, Lebanese forces and Hezbollah fighters captured Juroud Arsal town near the Syrian border after a military operation against militants based in the area.Güncelleme Tarihi: 27 Ağustos 2017, 16:53