World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood has cited what it described as "violations" in the trials of ousted president Mohamed Morsi, dismissing the multiple charges against him as "laughable."
The Brotherhood, in a statement, criticized the lack of live television coverage of the proceedings, denying Morsi visitations by lawyers and family members, confining him to soundproof glass cage during court sessions and taping his conversations with his lawyer.
It also slammed the charges against the deposed leader as "pathetic, laughable, and pitiful."
Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected president, was removed from power by the military last July following mass protests against his one year in office.
The ousted president is currently facing three separate trials on charges of jailbreak, espionage and inciting murder of protesters.
He is also waiting a fourth trial on charges of insulting judiciary.
Egypt's Arabic language daily Al-Watan has recently released an audio recording of Morsi's private conversation with his lawyer Mohamed Selim al-Awa during a court hearing break.
The recording has stirred the anger of the defense lawyers who demanded an investigation into how the conversation was recorded and leaked to the media.
Anadolu Agency could not reach Egyptian officials for immediate comment on the Brotherhood's assertions.
Egypt's interim government designated the Muslim Brotherhood as a "terrorist" movement in late 2013 immediately after the bombing of a security headquarters in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura. The attack killed 16 people, most of them policemen, and left dozens injured.
The Brotherhood denied any links with the attack and condemned it.
Egypt's jailbreak charges 'fabricated', says Hamas
The Hamas Interior Ministry has described as "false" and "fabricated" Egyptian accusations of involvement in a mass jailbreak during the January 25 revolution that ousted longstanding president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
"The accusations are totally groundless," the ministry wrote in a statement, a copy of which was obtained by Anadolu Agency.
The ministry said that the accusations "are based on unfounded and inaccurate information".
"The accusations are part of an unfair incitement campaign against the Palestinians by the Egyptian media," the ministry said.
Egyptian authorities have accused 131 people, including ousted president Mohamed Morsi, of involvement in a mass jailbreak during the 2011 revolution.
The list of defendants includes members from the Palestinian resistance faction Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, and the Lebanese movement Hezbollah.
Egyptian prosecutors say 800 foreign operatives crossed the border into the Sinai Peninsula from the Gaza Strip during the 2011 uprising and attacked police and government facilities in Sinai, leaving several policemen dead, before breaking into Wadi Natrun, Abu Zaabal and Al-Marg prisons in northern Cairo.
They also accuse the attackers of killing more than 50 policemen and prisoners before helping their associates escape with more than 20,000 other convicts.
The defendants, however, insist that virtually all of the charges against them are politically-motivated.
The Gaza Interior Ministry said that four of the defendants in the case had died before the January 2011 revolution.
According to the ministry, two suspects had been killed by the Israeli army in 2008 and 2010.
"Two other defendants died in 2005 and 2007," the Interior Ministry said, going on to say that another defendants, Hassan Salama, has been serving a life sentence in Israeli jails since 1996.
The Interior Ministry noted that almost half of the Palestinians linked to the jailbreak charges had never travelled outside the Gaza Strip.
"This is an attempt to demonize a resistant people," the ministry said. "Egypt's national security is a priority for us and we will not allow anybody to harm it."Last Mod: 18 Şubat 2014, 10:21