World Bulletin / News Desk
A newly formed bloc of non-governmental organizations in Syria on Saturday called for an implementation of the UN’s resolution demanding a cease-fire in besieged Eastern Ghouta.
In a statement, the civil bloc said: “We representatives of institutions […] humanitarian workers, local council members, and media activists announce the formation of a civilian bloc in East Ghouta to represent the civilians […]”
It called on the international community to pressure the Bashar al-Assad regime and its allies to lift the siege on Eastern Ghouta and open humanitarian crossings.
The statement highlighted that attacks by the Bashar al-Assad regime and its ally Russia killed more than 1,300 people, including women and children, in 30 days.
It also called on the international community to help ensure the safety and freedom of movement for civilians in Eastern Ghouta.
The bloc said the civilians in the region should be made a “negotiation partner” in all dialogues related to Eastern Ghouta.
Earlier this week, regime forces effectively cut Eastern Ghouta into three distinct parts, later capturing the Hamouriyah neighborhood where it has since carried out several attacks on civilian areas.
The latest moves come despite a UN Security Council resolution adopted last month calling for a month-long cease-fire in Syria -- especially Eastern Ghouta -- to allow the delivery of humanitarian aid.
Home to some 400,000 civilian residents, Eastern Ghouta has remained the target of a crippling regime siege for the last five years.Last Mod: 18 Mart 2018, 10:24