World Bulletin/News Desk
Suez Canal Authority (SCA) head Mohab Memish has denied reports that bombs had been planted by passing ships in Egypt's strategic Suez Canal.
In a Thursday statement, Memish said that SCA workers had found "small boxes" in the waterway while preparing for the passage of a Liberian container ship.
They had subsequently reported the incident to security authorities, Memish said.
"However, a joint committee from the SCA, the Armed Forces and the Navy inspected the ship's cargo and found no explosives, only fireworks," the statement added.
Memish said that the UK-bound ship, en route from China with 117,000 tons of cargo on board, had received permission to cross the canal.Güncelleme Tarihi: 02 Ağustos 2013, 09:39