World Bulletin/News Desk
Palestinian factions will formally accept a new 72-hour ceasefire in Gaza after Israel agreed to resume talks without pre-conditions, Izzat al-Reshiq, a Hamas negotiator in Cairo, told Reuters.
"In light of Israel's acceptance of the truce and their return without pre-conditions ... we will inform the Egyptian brothers of our positive response," he said.
Reshiq said the Palestinian factions had not given up any of their demands, which include an end to the blockade of Gaza and the release of prisoners.
Egypt had called on Israel and the Palestinians to commit to a new ceasefire that would start at 2100 GMT and be in effect for 72 hours. A previous three-day pause expired on Friday and fighting in a month-old war resumed.
Palestinian resistance faction Hamas on Sunday held Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responsible for the failure of indirect talks in Egypt to reach a durable ceasefire in the blockaded Gaza Strip.
In a statement, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri denounced remarks made by Netanyahu earlier in the day that the Israeli military operation against Gaza will continue until its goals are achieved.
"Netanyahu's remarks make him fully responsible for the failure of Cairo talks and the consequences," Abu Zuhri said.
The Israeli delegation left the Egyptian capital for Tel Aviv early on Friday, a few hours before a three-day ceasefire came to an end in the Gaza Strip.
Israeli officials keep saying that Tel Aviv would not send its negotiators back to the talks with the Palestinians in Cairo so long as Palestinians continue to launch rocket attacks against Israel from the Gaza Strip.
On Sunday, Hamas said it considers an Egyptian proposal for applying a 72-hour ceasefire in Gaza.
An earlier Egypt-brokered ceasefire had expired on Friday, opening the door for resumed attacks by Palestinians and the Israelis.
Until late Saturday, Israel had killed 11 Palestinians in the resumed airstrikes on different parts of the Gaza Strip, according to Palestinian medical sources.
At least 1918 have been killed in the Gaza Strip by Israeli attacks since July 7, while around 10,000 others have been injured.
At least 64 Israeli troops were killed in Gaza combat, while three civilians lost their lives to rocket attacks launched by Palestinian factions.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 10 Ağustos 2014, 20:27