Qatar says could take Saudi-led bloc to ICC over siege

Last month, four Arab states imposed a blockade on Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism

Qatar says could take Saudi-led bloc to ICC over siege

World Bulletin / News Desk

Qatar’s Defense Minister Khalid bin Mohammad al-Attiyah hinted that his country could sue the Saudi-led bloc before the International Criminal Court (ICC) for compensations over the blockade imposed on the Gulf state.

In an interview with TRT World aired late Monday, al-Attiyah said the current situation is similar to that of Nicaragua, when Managua sued the U.S. before the ICC in the 1980s for reparations over Washington’s support for rebels against the government.

The ICC has ruled against the U.S. and awarded reparations Nicaragua.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, U.A.E. and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, and imposed a sea and land blockade on it, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism.

The four states presented a list of demands for Qatar to end the blockade, including the closure of the Al Jazeera television, or face further sanctions.

Doha denies the accusation, saying the blockade is a violation of international law.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 18 Temmuz 2017, 10:46
YORUM EKLE