World Bulletin / News Desk
Israel’s supreme court has rejected the appeal by the family of Rachel Corrie – the US activist who was crushed to death by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza 12 years ago – which had sought to hold Israel liable for her death. The Israeli government called it a "regrettable death".
The Corrie family brought a civil suit against the Israeli army in 2005 after a military prosecutor closed the case with no charges. The Corries have alleged that Israel’s defense ministry had either killed her deliberately or was guilty of negligence.
The ruling, which followed a high-profile hearing before Israel’s top court last year, appears to bring to an end – in the Israeli courts at least – years of effort by Corrie’s family to hold the country’s military responsible for her death.
“Our family is disappointed but not surprised,” the Corrie family said in a statement released on Thursday. “Nevertheless, it is clear that this decision, affirming the August 2012 lower court finding, amounts to judicial sanction of immunity for Israeli military forces when they commit injustices and human rights violations.
“Despite the verdict, our family remains convinced we were correct in bringing this case forward,” the family said. “The day after Rachel was killed, Prime Minister Sharon promised President Bush a thorough, credible and transparent investigation. Clearly, that standard was not met.”
Corrie’s family had been pursuing a lawsuit against Israel’s defence ministry, charging that Israel’s military had either killed her deliberately, or that they were guilty of negligence in not demonstrating more care when she attempted to block the bulldozer.
Last Mod: 13 Şubat 2015, 15:50