World Bulletin/News Desk
Syrian opposition group Islamic Front has claimed it has killed at least 50 soldiers loyal to President Bashar al-Assad after blowing up several army headquarters in opposition-controlled Aleppo.
Syrian rebels set up explosives beneath the barracks' buildings, which they reached through a network of tunnels that had been dug up over the last months, Yasser abu-Ammar, spokesperson for the group in Aleppo, told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday.
The 50 soldiers killed include high-ranking army officers, he added.
This latest tunnel attack was launched as part of the Islamic Front’s “Operation Earthquake,” Ammar said, vowing to continue delivering harsh blows to the regime.
Meanwhile, at least 34 people, including seven children and five women, were killed in air and ground operations across Syria on Tuesday by forces of President Bashar al-Assad, opposition activists say.
The London-based Syrian Network for Human Rights watchdog said that 34 people had been killed on Tuesday, including 12 in Idlib, eight in Homs, seven in Aleppo, one in each of Damascus’s suburbs, Raqqa and Hama, etc.
Syrian official news agency SANA confirmed that Assad’s forces had killed miltants in operations throughout the country.
Syria has been gripped by fighting since the regime launched a violent crackdown in response to anti-government protests in March of 2011, triggering a conflict that has spiraled into a civil war fought between regime forces and various armed opposition groups.
The UN has stopped updating its death toll for Syria because an official count has become too difficult to verify. At least 100,000 deaths were recorded in the last official count in July 2013.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 30 Temmuz 2014, 10:55