Saudi-led jets bomb Yemen as peace talks fail

Saudi-led force renews attacks on military bases across Yemen since no agreement is found with the Houthi movement

Saudi-led jets bomb Yemen as peace talks fail

World Bulletin / News Desk

Air strikes by a Saudi-led force hit military bases across Yemen on Friday and the country's foreign minister was quoted as saying there was no need to convene another peace summit after the first round of talks failed.

Talks in Geneva last week ended without a resolution to the conflict, which has claimed more than 2,800 lives, as the Iran-allied Houthi movement and Saudi-backed President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi refused to back down.

Ten people were killed in air raids in Jawf, a northern province bordering Saudi Arabia, residents said. Fighter jets also struck the capital Sanaa, the Houthis' northern stronghold in Saada, as well as the provinces of Marib, Shabwa, Bayda and Aden in the center and south of the country.

Hadi's foreign minister Reyad Yassin Abdullah said his government had no interest in organizing a new meeting in Geneva, Saudi newspaper Asharq al-Awsat reported on Friday, and would instead work with all parties to implement United Nations Security Council resolution 2216.

The Houthis reject that resolution, which calls for them to withdraw from captured areas, return seized arms and allow Hadi to return from his Riyadh exile.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 26 Haziran 2015, 16:02
YORUM EKLE