World Bulletin / News Desk
Scores of Houthi rebels were killed Saturday in Saudi-led attacks and clashes with pro-government forces across war-torn Yemen.
Saudi-led forces shelled Houthi positions in Harad in the northwestern Hajjah province, the Yemeni army said in a statement.
“At least 23 Houthi militants were killed in the shelling,” the statement said.
In the central Taiz province, at least 28 Houthi militants were killed in clashes with pro-government fighters.
The violence has also left a pro-government fighter dead and six others injured in western Taiz, according to a statement by the pro-government fighters.
There was no comment from the Shia Houthi group on the reported casualties.
Yemen has been ravaged by civil war since late 2014, when Houthi rebels overran capital Sanaa and a number of other provinces, forcing President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi and his Saudi-backed government to temporarily flee to Riyadh.
In March of last year, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive military campaign in Yemen aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and restoring Hadi’s embattled government.
According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), more than three million Yemenis have been displaced by the ongoing conflict in the Arab country.Güncelleme Tarihi: 28 Ağustos 2016, 13:06