World Bulletin / News Desk
Egyptian army chief and Defense Minister Gen Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Sunday insisted that authorities would not remain silent over what he described as attempts to "burn Egypt and terrorize citizens."
"We warned before that the political conflict would lead Egypt into a dark tunnel," al-Sisi told a meeting of army and police officers and commanders, attended by Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim and Egypt's former grand mufti Ali Gomaa.
"We warned that this would turn into infighting and a conflict along religious lines," the army chief added, according to a statement issued by a military spokesperson.
"The measures we have taken have been transparent, honest and based on a thorough assessment of the situation and its repercussions on national security," al-Sisi added, according to the statement.
On July 3, the army ousted President Mohamed Morsi -- Egypt's first democratically elected head of state -- following mass protests against him.
It also suspended the constitution and installed Adly Mansour, the head of Egypt's constitutional court, as interim president.
The country has since remained in the eye of the storm, with Morsi's supporters staging daily mass protests and sit-ins to demand his reinstatement.
Al-Sisi urged the deposed president's supporters to reconsider their "national stances" and "understand that legitimacy is bestowed by the people and taken away by the people."
The army chief went on to assert that protection of the state remained the responsibility of the army, the police and the people.
"Egypt is for everyone; we care for every drop of Egyptian blood," he said.
Since Morsi's ouster early last month, hundreds have been killed and thousands injured in clashes between security forces and Morsi supporters, including the bloody dispersal last week of two main pro-Morsi sit-ins in Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya Square and Giza's Nahda Square.Güncelleme Tarihi: 18 Ağustos 2013, 18:20