World Bulletin/News Desk
At least three Egyptians were killed late Friday in a militant attack in al-Arish, the capital city of North Sinai, eyewitnesses and medical sources told the Anadolu Agency.
A number of unidentified gunmen attacked an army checkpoint with rocket-propelled grenades but the rockets missed their target and hit a nearby residential area, leaving three civilians dead and one injured.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, the latest in a spate of attacks mainly targeting security troops and facilities in Sinai since July 5, two days after the army ousted elected President Mohamed Morsi.
The latest fatalities brought to 24 the number of people killed in militant attacks in the lawless Sinai Peninsula since July 5.
Earlier in the day, a conscript was shot and wounded in an attack by unknown gunmen on a security checkpoint in al-Arish.
The checkpoint manned by joint army-police forces came under attack a few minutes before al-Maghreb (sunset) prayers, eyewitnesses said, adding that the attackers fled the scene after the shooting.
The Egyptian army launched this week a major offensive to hunt down militants believed to have carried out the recent attacks.Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Temmuz 2013, 09:54