World Bulletin / News Desk
Over 100 residential areas across almost 1,000 kilometers of northern Syria have been cleared of extremists since the start of Operation Euphrates Shield, Turkey’s military said on Sunday.
In a statement, the Turkish General Staff also said a total of 1,657 ISIL targets had been destroyed by over 6,000 rounds of artillery and rocket fire from the start of the operation in late August.
To date, a total of 111 residential areas in 960 square kilometers (370 square miles) of northern Syria were cleared, the statement added.
Three special task force groups of the Turkey-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) seized control of Uvaysiah, Tal-Atiyah, Cubban and El Eyyubiyah regions on Saturday, the Turkish military added. Two FSA fighters were martyred and eight others injured in Saturday's clashes.
Almost 80 ISIL targets were also hit by Turkish artillery on Saturday, the statement said. Gun emplacements, small armed groups, three bomb-laden vehicles, four fortified sites with Katyusha rockets, nine sheltering areas and two headquarters were destroyed.
Turkish jets also bombed seven targets in Turkmen Bari, Akhtarin, Ghaytun and Kuaybah, killing four ISIL extremists. Seven buildings used as command posts and weapon emplacements by ISIL were destroyed.
In addition, coalition forces carried out four air operations in the Guzel Mezra and Suran regions; five ISIL extremists were killed and four buildings destroyed during the operations.
Turkey has said Operation Euphrates Shield, which was launched on Aug. 24, is aimed at bolstering border security, supporting coalition forces and eliminating the threat posed by extremist organizations, especially ISIL.
The operation is in line with the country’s right to self-defense borne out of international treaties and a mandate given to Turkey’s armed forces by its parliament in 2014, which was extended for another year in September 2015.Güncelleme Tarihi: 02 Ekim 2016, 13:58