World Bulletin / News Desk
The U.S. said Thursday that it was investigating reports of civilian casualties following a coalition airstrike in northwest Syria.
“We are aware of civilian casualty reports surrounding Atmeh and are looking into them,” Pentagon spokeswoman Elissa Smith said in a statement. “We take all reports of non-combatant casualties seriously and look into each one received or reported.”
Local civil defense teams in Syria reported Tuesday that dozens of residents, including women and children, had been killed overnight in U.S.-coalition airstrikes on the Syrian village of Atmeh.
CENTCOM, the U.S. Middle East command, confirmed to Anadolu Agency on Wednesday that it had conducted a "deliberate airstrike" in the vicinity of Aleppo, including Atmeh.
“We apply very rigorous standards in our targeting process to avoid or minimize civilian casualties in the first place--to include analysis of available intelligence to selection of the appropriate weapons to meet mission requirements with the goal to minimize the risk of collateral damage and, in particular, potential harm to non-combatants,” Smith said.
Earlier today, an official from Pentagon had told Anadolu Agency that the airstrikes had not targeted civilians.
"That is a very thorough process, they take great care in selecting their targets and not run the risk of inadvertently hitting civilians," the official said.
"When there are credible allegations that we have done so errantly, they work to investigate those."
In Thursday’s press briefing, the U.S. State Department said that they had seen the reports regarding the attack, adding the U.S. "remains deeply concerned by any potential civilian casualties," without giving further information on the attack."Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Ağustos 2015, 11:56