World Bulletin / News Desk
Reports coming from Yemen every day show that new tragedies are being experienced in the war-torn country. The Saudi-led coalition has continued to pound countless locations in the country and has already killed a considerable number of civilians. Just yesterday, a prison in Hodeidah was bombed.
"Arab coalition warplanes bombed a security complex near the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah, killing 60 people, including the inmates of a prison on the site, a regional official, relatives and medical sources said on Sunday. Local officials said the site lies within a security complex for the area guarded by Houthi militiamen, but that only prison security guards were present during the nighttime airstrike. A Reuters witness at the security complex said the entire building was destroyed, and medics pulled about 17 bodies away - many of them missing limbs, while others remained stuck under the rubble," Reuters reported.
Last month, the coalition carried out its deadliest attack when a wedding ceremony was targeted, killing at least 150 people. In total, more than 10,000 people have been killed in less than 19 months.
Besides the killing of civilians, the Yemeni people face other critical problems such as a lack of access clean water, electricity, food, etc. In some besieged areas, children can be seen starving to death. A recent report, released by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) last month, indicates that over 5 million Yemenis have been affected by water related diseases. "The current situation of the national health system is of great concern for UNICEF and its partners. According to preliminary results from the WHO-supported Health Resources Availability Mapping System (HeRAMS), over 54 percent of health facilities in 16 governorates surveyed are not functioning or partially functioning, only 37 percent of hospitals remain fully functional, and 70 percent of governorates report levels of staffing below the minimum World Health Organization (WHO) benchmark of 22 health workers for every 10,000 persons.
Under this scenario, health authorities have been forced to close down or reduce services, leaving thousands of people with no access to essential health care," the report said. According to the report, 20 million people have been affected by the war, while 3 million suffer from lack of nutrition. However, the report said that more than $180 million were necessary to cope with the situation, while only $130 million were available.Güncelleme Tarihi: 01 Kasım 2016, 13:50