World Bulletin/News Desk
Yemeni gunmen killed at least two soldiers in an attack on a army contingent assigned to guard oil installations, a local official and tribal sources said on Sunday, after tribesmen warned Norway's DNO to stop operations in the area.
Armed tribesmen in southeastern Hadramout province have been targeting government troops and facilities in the area since early December, when a local tribal leader was killed in a gunfight at an army checkpoint after his bodyguards refused to hand over their weapons to soldiers.
A local official said armed tribesmen attacked soldiers near an oil facility operated by DNO late on Saturday.
The attack was one day after a tribal alliance in the area warned the company to suspend all its operations starting on Saturday, pending the government heeding demands to handover soldiers who killed Said bin Habrish, a prominent tribal chief, earlier in December.
In Oslo, DNO officials had no immediate comment.
The local official said two soldiers were killed and one was injured in the attack. Local tribesmen confirmed the attack but said three soldiers died and six were injured.
Bin Habrish's death has led to protests and attacks on government facilities, including a brief seizure of the Yemeni oil ministry offices in Hadramout, in which several people were killed.
Apart from handing over of bin Habrish's killers, tribesmen also demanded full withdrawal of the army from Hadramout and more jobs for local people.
Yemen, one of the poorest countries in the Arab world, has been in political turmoil since mass protests in 2011 forced long-serving President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down under a Gulf initiative in which he was succeeded by deputy Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.Güncelleme Tarihi: 12 Ocak 2014, 16:10