"Hamas is committed to the cease-fire agreed to in Cairo so long as Israel remains committed to it," Ismail Haniyeh, deputy chief of Hamas' political office, said in a statement.
In August, Palestinian resistance factions signed a cease-fire deal with Israel in Cairo following a 51-day Israeli military onslaught on the Gaza Strip in which more than 2,160 Palestinians – mostly civilians – were killed.
On Wednesday, however, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas, said one of its fighters in the southern Gaza Strip had been killed by Israeli artillery.
The Israeli army said it had shelled targets in the coastal enclave in response to what it described as the "targeting" of its troops on the Gaza border.
An Israeli army spokesman said Palestinian snipers had shot at an army force near the southern Gaza Strip. The Israeli Foreign Ministry, for its part, said an Israeli soldier had been injured in the shooting.