World Bulletin / News Desk
Israel's killing of four Palestinian boys in an air strike on a Gaza beach during the 2014 war was a case of mistaken identity that does not warrant criminal charges, the military says.
Israel says no action will be taken against those involved in the last year's bombing of Gaza beach that left four Palestinian children dead, saying that it was an accident.
"The... case has been closed following the completion of a criminal investigation," the Israeli army said in a statement on Thursday.
Cousins Ahed Atef Bakr and Zakaria Ahed Bakr, both aged 10, nine-year-old Mohamed Ramez Bakr and 11-year-old Ismail Mohamed Bakr were playing on the beach in Gaza City when they were hit in strikes witnessed by journalists staying at a beachfront hotel.
Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Lerner, an Israeli military spokesman, said the air force fired on the four boys after failing to identify them as children and believing they were gunmen running in an area "utilized exclusively by militants".
Witnesses said the boys were playing soccer at the time.
"After reviewing the investigation's findings, the Military Advocate General found that the attack process in question accorded with Israeli domestic law and international law requirements," Lerner said on Facebook. He called the deaths "tragic".
In a separate statement, the military said it was also closing the cases on July 21 and July 29 attacks on residential buildings that killed 22 Palestinians. A July 9 attack on a Gaza cafe that killed 9 people was under criminal investigation, it said, as well allegations that troops abused a Palestinian detainee and illegally fired on a Gaza medical clinic.
On January 16 the ICC announced "a preliminary examination" into Israel's actions over a period including the Gaza war in which about 2,200 Palestinians were killed, mainly civilians.Güncelleme Tarihi: 12 Haziran 2015, 11:20