Israel kills sleeping Palestinian man in raid

The 65-year-old dead man, Amr Qawasme, was asleep when soldiers broke into his home before dawn.

Israel kills sleeping Palestinian man in raid

Israeli troops on Friday shot dead a sleeping Palestinian man during a dawn raid in the city of Hebron in the occupied West Bank.

The 65-year-old dead man, Amr Qawasme, was asleep when soldiers broke into his home before dawn.

His wife, Sobheye, said they brushed past her into the bedroom, where she heard several shots fired. When she went in, she found her husband in a pool of blood.

"I was praying when they entered. I do not know how they opened the door. They put their hand to my mouth and a rifle to my head," she told Reuters after Qawasme's body was removed.

"I was shocked. They did not allow me to talk. I asked them, 'What did you do?' They asked me to shut up."

Five of the men were from Hebron, and one of them, Wael Bitar, arrested by the Israelis, lives one storey below the victim, residents said.

Reuters Television footage showed Qawasme's sodden bed and bullet casings on the floor.

Medical sources in Hebron's Governmental Hospital told a Palestinian news agency, the body was received with several gunshot wounds to his upper body, and bullet wounds that had smashed his face.

Palestinian security sources said the four other Hamas ex-prisoners from Hebron also were detained by the Israelis.

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas had on Thursday ordered the release of the six Hamas prisoners who had been on hunger strike. Five were being held in a Hebron jail, while the sixth was in Bethlehem.


Agencies

Last Mod: 07 Ocak 2011, 15:39
Add Comment