Israeli army shoot Palestinian woman in W.Bank

Palestinian security officials named him as Dia al-Talahmeh and said he was shot dead by Israeli troops

Israeli army shoot Palestinian woman in W.Bank

World Bulletin / News Desk

Israeli troops have shot and wounded a Palestinian woman at a checkpoint near the centre of Hebron in the occupied West Bank.

According to the Israeli military, "An attack was thwarted when a Palestinian attempted to stab an (Israeli) soldier at a military position in Hebron," the army statement said. "(Israeli) forces responded, fired towards the perpetrator and identified a hit."

In other news, a 21-year-old Palestinian died during an Israeli army operation in the southern West Bank before dawn on Tuesday in circumstances that were unclear.

Palestinian security officials named him as Dia al-Talahmeh and said he was shot dead by Israeli troops.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said he had been killed by a makeshift bomb he had been preparing to throw at the patrol but did not say whether or not the troops had opened fire.

The spokeswoman said the patrol had been deployed to clear stones blocking a road outside the flashpoint city of Hebron.

"The soldiers heard an explosion and during a search of the sector they found the bodies of  of a Palestinian killed by the explosive device he intended to throw at one of our vehicles," she said.

Talahmeh's death came after a string of incidents between the army and Palestinians in the Hebron area during the day on Monday, residents said.

Tensions have been running high across the West Bank, including Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, ahead of the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday which begins at sundown on Tuesday.

Israel has deployed thousands of extra police in east Jerusalem and closed it off from the rest of the West Bank.


Israeli soldiers invaded the northern West Bank city of Nablus at dawn on Tuesday and clashed with local youths, wounding three, and kidnapped another Palestinian.

Medical sources in Nablus said resident Mohammad Basalat, 19, was shot with a rubber-coated metal bullet in the head, while Mohammad Mheisin, 19, similar round in the arm, and Noureddin Shareeda, 19, who suffered severe effects of teargas inhalation. 

In addition, soldiers stormed a residential building in the al-Makhfiyya neighborhood in Nablus, and kidnapped Mofeed Ghazal, after violently searching his home.



Güncelleme Tarihi: 22 Eylül 2015, 13:08