"We will respond with force every time there is an attempt to disturb the quiet that was attained in the south after Operation Protective Edge," Netanyahu said in a statement.
The threat came shortly after the Ezzedin al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Palestinian resistance movement Hamas, said that one of its fighters in the southern Gaza Strip had been killed by Israeli artillery.
In a brief statement, the Brigades said that Tayseer al-Sameeri had been killed in the town of Al-Qararah east of Khan Younis.
Medical sources told The Anadolu Agency that al-Sameeri had been killed by Israeli artillery that had targeted farmland in the area.
The Israeli army said the artillery fire had come in response to a sniper attack on army personnel patrolling the border.
On July 7, Israel began a devastating, weeks-long military onslaught on the Gaza Strip with the stated aim of halting rocket fire from the Hamas-run coastal enclave.
By the time the offensive ended on August 26 – more than 50 days later – at least 2,160 Gazans had been killed, mostly civilians, and some 11,000 injured.
At least 73 Israelis – 68 soldiers and five civilians – were also killed during the seven-week conflict.