World Bulletin/News Desk
A Palestinian youth was shot and injured by Israeli army troops on Thursday near the West Bank city of Nablus, eyewitnesses have said.
Israeli troops shot the young man at the entrance of the town of Burin "without any justification," leaving him with three separate bullet wounds, one eyewitness told The Anadolu Agency.
According to witnesses, the Israeli army blocked access to the site of the incident and prevented Palestinian ambulances from reaching the injured man.
Israeli ambulances, meanwhile, showed up at the scene.
It is not yet clear whether the young Palestinian was transferred to hospital or how serious his injuries are.
His identity, too, remains unknown.
No immediate comments have been issued – by either Palestinian or Israeli authorities – on the incident.
Tension has run high in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem since late October, when Israel briefly closed the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound after an extremist rabbi was injured in a drive-by shooting in West Jerusalem.
Unrest mounted further in the occupied city when Israeli forces killed a young Palestinian man – in a raid on his East Jerusalem home – who had been suspected of shooting the rabbi.
Since then, several Israelis have been killed and injured in a spate of separate attacks by Palestinians – both inside Israel and in the occupied territories.
Israel occupied East Jerusalem during the 1967 Middle East War. It later annexed the holy city in 1980, claiming it as the capital of the self-proclaimed Jewish state in a move never recognized by the international community.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 01 Ocak 2015, 23:54