Slain Palestinian minister's last words to his family

Abu Ein died after being attacked by Israeli soldiers during a protest against Israeli settlement building

Slain Palestinian minister's last words to his family

World Bulletin/News Desk

Late Palestinian official Ziad Abu Ein bid farewell to his family with words that needed no elaboration: "I won't be back; I will do something that won't be forgotten," according to Abu Ein's daughter, Mahar.

Abu Ein died on Wednesday after being attacked by Israeli soldiers during a protest against Israeli settlement building and Israel's separation wall in the town of Turmus Ayya north of Ramallah, during which he was beaten and subject to excessive teargas.  

On the day of his death, Abu Ein had prepared himself for a final confrontation with the Israeli army to prevent the expansion of Jewish-only settlements in Turmus Ayya, Mahar told The Anadolu Agency.

Abu Ein insisted on joining the demonstration, despite his wife's efforts to dissuade him, according to Mahar.

"That morning, I rushed out of the house and said goodbye, asking him to pray for me because I was heading to a school exam," Mahar told AA.

She added: "Little did I know, I should've been the one praying for him."

Mahar, a high school student, wished that her father could have celebrated her success in the exam – but his death, she said, had robbed her of that opportunity.

"He raised us to love our homeland, always telling us that we must work together to liberate Palestine," she said.

"He planted half a million olive trees to combat [Israeli] settlement expansion. But he never achieved his dream of planting one million trees," she added.

"He left home and came back a martyr," his daughter said.

She tried to maintain her composure, but she was overwhelmed by tears as she received condolences from hundreds of female well-wishers.

In a corner of the house sits Abu Ein's widow, Rimal Abu Ein, embracing a portrait of her departed husband.

An Anadolu Agency reporter attempted to speak to her, but it wasn't easy for her to talk to the media, as she still appeared to be in a state of shock.

Tarek Abu Ein, for his part, the slain official's eldest son, recalled some of the advice relayed by his late father.

"He always told us that we were no better than the [Palestinian] martyrs and prisoners," he said. "He told us that we must offer our homeland as much as others have."

"He always urged us to take part in demonstrations; he always spoke of resistance. He died a fighter, just as he lived," Tarek added.

The grieving son called on the international community to "speak the truth for once" and "stand with the Palestinians against the brutal Israeli occupation."

On Thursday, Saber al-Aloul, the head of the Palestinian forensic institute, said that preliminary autopsy results had indicated that Abu Ein's death had been "due to a lack of blood supply to the heart, which was caused by a hemorrhage in the inner lining of the coronary artery – a condition usually associated with anguish and stress."

According to Ehab Bseiso, a Palestinian Authority spokesman, "the Israeli government was responsible for Abu Ein's death."

Israel's Health Ministry, for its part, stated in a report issued by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office that a preliminary autopsy report had attributed Abu Ein's untimely demise to a "blocked coronary artery."

Güncelleme Tarihi: 13 Aralık 2014, 12:40

Muhammed Öylek