World Bulletin / News Desk
Five people were remanded into custody in Istanbul on Thursday on terror charges related to the alleged use of a messaging app linked to Turkey’s July 15 coup plot.
A judicial source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a police operation had targeted businessmen.
The suspects were accused of "being members of a terrorist organization".
Earlier in the day, 11 suspects were released by the Anadolu 3rd Criminal Court of Peace in Istanbul. However, the Istanbul chief public prosecutor's office issued another 11 arrest warrants and five people were taken into custody.
The ByLock smartphone app is believed to have been cracked by Turkish security agencies months before the coup, allowing them to identify tens of thousands of apparent FETO supporters.
Turkey’s government said FETO leader Fetullah Gulen masterminded the failed coup, which left 248 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara has said FETO, which is led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, is behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.
In the wake of the coup attempt, tens of thousands FETO suspects have been arrested, including many in the armed forces, police, justice system and education sector.
aaGüncelleme Tarihi: 24 Kasım 2016, 19:10