The prosecutor who is investigating the shady assassinations of the 1990s -- known as Turkey's dark era -- will be interviewing politicians of the time in the following days, sources close to the investigation have said.
The investigation into the so-called unsolved murders concerned a number of cases from the 1990s that are believed to have been orchestrated by gangs grouped within legitimate state agencies. Ankara Prosecutor Mustafa Bilgili -- in charge of probing crimes that fall under Article 10 of the Counterterrorism Law (TMK) -- will also request the archives of the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) from those years. The archived reports and testimony from the politicians of that decade will help deepen the investigation to remove the curtain of secrecy surrounding the murders of various politicians, academics and businessmen in those years.
The prosecutor has reason to believe that politicians including former Prime Ministers Tansu Çiller and Mesut Yılmaz and former Deputy Police Chief and later politician Mehmet Ağar hold key information regarding the unsolved murders. The evidence the prosecution has for that comes from another investigation regarding the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed military intervention.
Prosecutor Bilgili will be hearing from these politicians, and sources said these could be heard with the testifier having the status of a suspect, witness or co-plaintiff. The prosecutor will start by reviewing MİT records from 1996, the year of the Susurluk car accident, which revealed for the first time an unholy alliance between the police, politicians and the crime world.
Some of the perpetrators of the murders in the 1990s have claimed to have had orders from MİT or from JİTEM -- an illegal intelligence organization inside the Gendarmerie Force whose existence was only recently confirmed officially and which is believed to be responsible for thousands of murders in the southeast in the 1990s. The prosecution will also direct questions regarding the possible givers of these orders in the days ahead.
The investigation was accelerated, sources claim, after former village guard Ramazan Erkan was killed by a single bullet on the street in broad daylight in Şırnak's Silopi district on June 21. Erkan was accused of at least 55 JİTEM related executions in the Southeast in the 1990s. Erkan was also briefly detained in 2009 in the investigation regarding the coup-plotting clandestine organization Ergenekon. He has court proven links to Ergenekon suspects Gen. Levent Ersöz and former Police Special Forces Deputy Chief İbrahim Şahin.
There are currently 16 murders that fall under the scope of Prosecutor Bilgili's investigation. Tens of individuals have testified so far in the probe and several others, including Şahin and three special forces officers, were arrested.
CihanGüncelleme Tarihi: 02 Temmuz 2013, 10:11