Three suspects to admit Sledgehammer coup plan: Turkish report

Three suspects are planning to share with an court what they know about the details of the Sledgehammer coup plan, a report said.

Three suspects to admit Sledgehammer coup plan: Turkish report

World Bulletin / News Desk

Two generals and a colonel, currently under arrest on coup charges, are planning to share with an İstanbul court what they know about the details of the Sledgehammer coup plan, according to the Taraf daily.

The daily reported on Wednesday that one of the generals was working at a top post in the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) before being sent to jail.

Sledgehammer is a suspected coup plan devised at a military gathering in 2003 that allegedly sought to undermine the government in order to lay the groundwork for a military takeover.

Taraf's report is based on an earlier column by Abdulkadir Selvi, the Ankara representative of the Yeni Şafak daily.

Cihan news agency said, the columnist claimed in his column on Tuesday that a general who is among the Sledgehammer suspects may share what he knows about the coup plan. "The required procedure has not yet begun. That general may later decide not to share his knowledge, or the court may find what he tells it about the Sledgehammer plan of little use," the columnist stated, adding that he would not give the name of the general in question due to concerns about his life.

About two weeks ago, the İstanbul 10th High Criminal Court ordered the arrest of 163 suspects in the Sledgehammer case who stand accused of a failed attempt to destroy Parliament and overthrow the government. Most of the suspects have been placed behind bars. There are currently 195 suspects in the case, all of whom are retired or active duty members of the military.

The Taraf report said the daily's reporters checked the veracity of Selvi's claim, and anonymous military authorities told their reporters that three jailed members of the TSK, two active duty generals and a colonel, are planning to share what they know about the Sledgehammer plan with the court.

One of the military authorities reportedly told the daily that those three Sledgehammer suspects previously told him they feel uneasy about the coup plan and are therefore planning to tell the İstanbul 10th High Criminal Court, which is hearing the Sledgehammer case, all they know about the coup plan.

Taraf did not mention the names of the two generals or the colonel in the report.

In the meantime, the İstanbul 10th High Criminal Court rejected an earlier petition by two Sledgehammer suspects, retired Col. Cemal Temizöz and Col. Cengiz Köylü, seeking the dismissal of a number of judges in the Sledgehammer case.

 

Last Mod: 23 Şubat 2011, 17:56
Add Comment