Turkey prepares to refer deadly Israeli attack on Turkish flagged-Gaza aid ship on international waters to legal means for reserved compensation rights, following condemnation decisions from the international organizations.
Spokesman of Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs Burak Ozugergin said Israel clearly violated all the international laws, war laws, humanitarian and marine laws, likening the attack to piracy acts of Somalia sea gangs.
Ozugergin said: “Humanitarian law forbids attacking on civilians even at times of war. This is not a warship. According to international law, this is a civilian ship, so those responsible for the military operation should pay regard to civilians”
Ozugergin further said the matter resulted from Israel’s breaching the international laws. Ozugergin added: “Nobody should claim that this is a Muslim-Jewish standoff. No one should claim we are being Anti-Semitic. People from all religions were onboard at that ship during the attack. They set off for something they believed in, to end injustice and draw the attention of world public.”
"Aid victims laid to rest"
Meanwhile, thousands gathered in the funeral ceremonies and denounced the Israel muders.
Bodies of the fallen flotilla volunteers were laid to rest in their hometowns, covered with Turkish and Palestinian flags.
The father of Cevdet Kiliclar collapsed beside his son's coffin as thousands knelt in prayer at Istanbul's Beyazit Mosque to mourn the 38-year-old journalist who had been working for the Turkish charity that organised the aid flotilla.
A service was held a day earlier for eight other Turks shot dead by Israeli soldiers.
Addressing a news conference, Bulent Yildirim, the head of the Foundation for Human Rights and Freedoms and Humanitarian Relief (IHH), denied that his charity had direct links to Hamas or ties to militants, rejecting it as Israeli propaganda.
He said three people his charity had listed on Thursday as missing had been located, and were being treated for wounds in Ankara. He had no news on the whereabouts of a indonesian doctor surrendered who he said was shot dead.
"People have shown an appropriate response but our government hasn't yet," said Nuri Dogan, a 19-year-old student among the mourners, adding he wanted a boycott of Israel.
Relatives of the volunteers were both proud and sad.
Three more wounded activists were brought to Ankara on Friday and the other two wounded activists will be also brought to Turkey after their final medical checks are made.
On May 31, an Israeli raid on the convoy of ships with more than 600 people on board killed 9 people and injured nearly 30 others. Eight of the nine injured were Turkish citizens, and the other was U.S. citizen of Turkish descent.
Last Mod: 04 Haziran 2010, 17:24