Turkish PM: 81,000 sacked or suspended over coup bid

Binali Yildirim says group behind coup attempt set up communication network of 50,000 members

Turkish PM: 81,000 sacked or suspended over coup bid

World Bulletin / News Desk

More than 81,000 people have been suspended or dismissed from work over suspected links to the group behind Turkey’s July 15 attempted coup, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said Saturday.

In a speech to media figures at Cankaya Palace in Ankara, he said 76,597 had been suspended and 4,897 dismissed. Of those sacked, more than 3,000 were military staff, judges and civil servants.

Yildirim said the government would distinguish between those willingly involved in the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) behind the coup and those who caught up in the movement “by chance”.

“We have difficulties in detection,” he said. “What will we do? We have set certain criteria. I think we need to distinguish between the ones who were involved in this organization voluntarily and intentionally and the ones who had some connections with them by chance.”

Yildirim hosted scores of media figures at his official residence to acknowledge the role played in helping defeat the coup bid. TV stations in particular were instrumental in revealing the coup attempt in progress and one broadcast President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s call for people to take to the streets to resist.

He also mentioned “communication networks” established by FETO involving more than 50,000 people. “There are more than 50,000 names on this communication infrastructure,” he said. “These will be searched.”

Güncelleme Tarihi: 13 Ağustos 2016, 15:59
YORUM EKLE