US says no plans to relocate forces from Incirlik

Operations, missions will continue at base in south Turkey

US says no plans to relocate forces from Incirlik

World Bulletin / News Desk

 The U.S. military has no plan of pulling forces out of the Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey, amid the discussions around the failed coup attempt, Air Force Secretary Deborah James said Tuesday.

 "There is no plan to move out of Incirlik whatsoever," James said at a forum in Washington hosted by the Defense One news outlet.

 James said that she spoke Monday to the U.S. commander at the base to discuss the situation there, noting that American officials are monitoring the situation.

"But for now … the operations, the missions are ongoing,” she said.

 A fraction within the Turkish Armed Forces attempted a coup July 15 that led the deaths of more than 240 people and injury more than 2,000 others.

After discovering some officers from Incirlik were involved in the unsuccessful coup, Turkey shut off electricity to the base and halted the U.S. air campaign from the base.

According to James, military-to-military relations between the two countries are "professional," and there have been "no problems with our [American] people".

U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Monday he had a phone call last week with his counterpart, Fikri Isik, and added that “the coalition air operations are back on track at Incirlik”.

 Last year, Turkey allowed U.S. aircraft to be stationed at the base to conduct airstrikes against ISIL.

 

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 27 Temmuz 2016, 09:38
YORUM EKLE