World Bulletin/News Desk
Turkey's ambassador to Denmark has been summoned to the Danish foreign ministry for the second time in an inquiry into the attempted shooting of a Danish writer.
Turkish Ambassador Mehmet Donmez was asked on Monday whether any information had reached Turkish authorities over the attempted shooting of Lars Hedegaard in his home in Copenhagen in 2013.
Donmez said to Anadolu Agency: "The [Danish] ministry officials asked whether we had any information about the allegations.
"I answered the questions of Danish press members and the situation will not affect the relations between the two countries."
A 26-year-old suspect is alleged to have disguised himself as a postman and then attempted to shoot the right-wing writer and critic of Islam, but his gun jammed.
The male suspect was arrested in Turkey in April this year, however Danish police allege that the suspect was subsequently released by Turkish police.
Hate speech conviction
The Danish foreign ministry previously summoned ambassador Donmez on Friday after failing to receive information from the Turkish foreign ministry.
Turkish authorities have not yet commented on the inquiry.
Danish police officer Jens Moller Jensen said Danish police had not received information on the suspect since August, and claimed a person close to the suspect had told police officials that he had been released in Turkey.
“We learned that (he had been released) a few weeks ago and asked Turkish authorities to confirm or deny the information, but we have received no answer,” he said.
Hedegaard, a known critic of Islam, established the Danish Free Press Society which says it aims to defend freedom of expression.
He was convicted of hate speech in 2011 after making remarks against Muslims and saying "girls in Muslim families are raped by their uncles, their cousins or their fathers" and fined 5,000 kroner (about $850).
Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Ekim 2014, 11:05