Khashoggi had his own 'objective stance': Fiancee

Hatice Cengiz speaks about what she had been going through since Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance

Khashoggi had his own 'objective stance': Fiancee

Hatice Cengiz, the fiancee of the slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, spoke to Habeturk TV and spoke about what she had been going through since Khashoggi's disappearance.

Cengiz said that the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called her following the U.S. President Donald Trump invited her to visit the country.

When asked if Khashoggi was an dissident author, Cengiz said: "I don't know how accurate it would be to evaluate Mr. Jamal's stance [...] He had his own objective stance. There are points he backed and criticized. I'm talking about the new practices, reforms and the crown prince [Mohammad bin Salman]. He was watching the transforming structure with great concern and enthusiasm."

Khashoggi, a Saudi national and columnist for The Washington Post, was last seen entering the his country's consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 to get documents related to his forthcoming marriage with Cengiz. 

After days of denying any knowledge of his whereabouts, Saudi officials last week admitted that the journalist had been killed inside the consulate.

Noting that they wanted to live in the U.S. and Turkey after their marriage, Cengiz said that Khashoggi loved Istanbul where he frequently visited. In addition, she pointed out that Khashoggi had previously met Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and he had many friends in Turkey.

She went on to note that they first went to the Saudi Consulate on Sept. 28. Cengiz said both of them were nervous when they first went to the consulate, fearing of a possible interrogation.

However, contrary to their fear, Khashoggi left the diplomatic building happily as the consulate employees were nice to him, according to Cengiz.

Before their second visit to the consulate on Oct. 2, she noted that the Khashoggi told her to go to school, and he would go to the consulate alone.

"Although he said he would go alone, I had this feeling that I shouldn't let him do so," she said, adding that he was encouraged by the first visit to the consulate.

She said she was irritated as Khashoggi hadn't left the building and then frightened after learning that working hours of the consulate were over.

"Then, a Turkish official told me that everyone had left the building and there was no one inside," she said, adding that she felt the greatest fear of losing him at that time.

Cengiz said she handed Khashoggi's computer, phones and private belongings to the prosecutor 3-4 days following the incident. "The situation has both political and judicial and humanitarian aspects," she said.

She said she "died every day" until Saudi Arabia made an official statement regarding Khashoggi’s murder.

"All government authorities, particularly Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, were closely interested in the issue. They have supported me in this period," she said.