Life sentences sought for FETO terror suspects

6 suspects charged with attempting to overthrow constitutional order, government, and parliament

Life sentences sought for FETO terror suspects

World Bulletin / News Desk

Istanbul prosecutors on Monday demanded aggravated life imprisonment for six suspects over alleged links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), the group behind last year’s defeated coup in Turkey, a judicial source said.

Appearing in court, three of the suspects -- Nazli Ilicak, Ahmet Altan, and Sukru Tugrul Ozsengul -- were charged with attempting to overthrow the constitutional order, said the source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media.

The suspects are also accused of attempting to overthrow the Turkish government and parliament. 

FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016 that martyred 250 people and injured nearly 2,200 others. 

Ankara accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.

In the wake of the putsch attempt, tens of thousands of FETO suspects have been arrested, including many in the armed forces, police, judicial system, education, and business sectors. 

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 11 Aralık 2017, 16:22
YORUM EKLE