World Bulletin / News Desk
The suspects are among the 105 people -- including former employees of The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), Presidency of Telecommunication and Communication (TIB), and Surat Information Technology Co. -- against which arrest warrants had been issued by the Istanbul chief public prosecutor's office, according to a police source who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
The suspects are accused of using the ByLock messaging app which is said to have been used by members of FETO during the July 15 coup attempt, the source said. They are also accused of attempting to provide technical support for the coup bid.
Operations are ongoing to arrest the remaining 53 suspects.
One month after the coup attempt, Turkey shut down TIB and transferred its responsibilities and staff to the Information and Communication Technologies Authority.
The TIB was supposed to be an independent regulatory body, but according to Turkish officials, the institution had become "a nest for moles" at the hands of members of Fetullah Terrorist Organization, an observation which President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had also voiced repeatedly in the previous years.